10.30.2008

I tried... Strengths Finder 2.0


I received this book from someone who got 2 from a seminar he attended. It seemed so exciting: "A new version of the program that helped millions uncover their talents", "available exclusively in Strengths Finder 2.0: a unique access code to the new and upgraded edition of the SF assessment", "50 ideas for action", and so on. The book is in fact an intro to the Finder's test and a description of all 34 types of strength developped by the Gallup Organization and rooted in more than 40 years of research.

So. I went online with my unique secret access code and took the test. 30 minutes later the results came. The top 5 themes.

IDEATION
STRATEGIC (uh?)
ACTIVATOR
CONNECTEDNESS
RELATOR

Went back to the book. Read the description for every theme and the ideas for action and... well didn't feel so excited anymore. It was kind of boring. I felt like I took a Chatelaine's test. "You are fascinated by ideas" (really?! must be kidding!!). I guess I was expecting something else. The ideas for action are mostly work-related ( I guess that's the point of the whole exercice) but because I'm a free-lancer working from home, in many cases it doesn't apply to me. I would recommend this book to people who don't know what kind of work to do and who don't know much about their talents.

Well, anyway, I had fun. I'm happy to know (to be reminded!) that my first strength is ideation - and that the first idea for action suggest that I should seek a career in which I will be given credit for and paid for my ideas such as design. Ouf! I made the right choice :).

What you are sure of is that ideas are thrilling. And on most days this is enough.

No comments: